Sunday 16 March 2014

Jean Paul Gaultier At The Brooklyn Museum

Hello my darlings! I hope you all had a lovely weekend.
Today I wanted to show you lovely people some of pictures I took of the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum we visited while in New York (which seems like ages ago!). It was a really good opportunity to see pieces from lots of his previous collections first hand and realise just how stunning some of them truly are.
As we all know, Jean Paul is no stranger to the insane and outrageous, he has become iconic for his heavily structured and provocative pieces which spice up Paris Fashion Week every year. I'm a huge admirer of his work but obviously I have not seen all of his collections and to see hundreds of garments all in one space and their beauty only made me love him more! When you watch the catwalk shows on the internet the craftsmanship of the garments is lost in the pixels but to see them close-up with you own eyes was truly magical. There was a dress towards the end of the exhibition which was made out of crocodile skin which had been crocheted together (I know, crazy!), and another dress which was decorated with a gazillion feathers and each one had been individually hand stitched to the dress. The exhibition was very exciting and an honour to behold, the mannequins were plain in their faces however there were projectors beaming moving, and at times, speaking faces onto them which all made us all rather spooked and giggly. As well as this, some mannequins were placed on a converter belt while others appeared from curtained booths above our heads!
The exhibition really was amazing and I'm so glad we went, I feel like I understand Jean Paul Gaultier a lot more now and because he is such a unique designer I think it made the experience even more special. If any of you ever get the chance to go see an exhibition on him or anything related, go because even people who are not huge fans of designer fashion can at least admire his artistic flare and attention to detail. He truly is a fashion legend, and here (finally) are the pictures: enjoy!



































As you can see from the pictures, the pieces displayed in the exhibition were beautifully bonkers and I have a whole new appreciation for Jean Paul Gaultier now. If I was ever lucky enough to go to one of his catwalk shows I don't think I would ever recover. What an inspiration.
I hope you liked this post guys and there will be more soon, I think the next few may be videos as I still need to show you all what I bought in New York and the video diary I made of our trip although I am still having technical difficulties with this one. But, more posts soon so keep your eyes peeled!
Love Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment